Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Hyaluronic Acid and Evening Primrose Oil for Dry Eyes


My eyes have been dry lately, partly from the heat, but also due to hormonal changes (I just turned 52). 

I have been able to wear contact lenses, without discomfort, since I was 13 years old. I felt pretty lucky abou this, as I have a sister who has never been able to wear contacts full time, and I have much drier eyes than she does (since she never took Accutane). Contacts never bothered me before... until this year. 

For the last several months, my contact lenses have been bothering me in a way they usually don't. I find that they feel drier in my eyes, and irritate them, a lot sooner than they normally would. I used to be able to wear them all day, as long as I was staying well-hydrated. But now, even if I drink a gallon of water per day, my contacts still bother me. 

This dry eye issue seemed to happen around the same time the skin on my neck and arms started to take on this really soft, almost kind of "droopy" feeling, my skin didn't have before. Like, basically, the skin of an older person who's not far from developing "turkey neck." So I can't help thinking that, due to hormonal changes and my age, my body is suddenly just not producing the same amount of something (hydrating) that it used to. I know one of those things is probably estrogen, and I had heard there's something about estrogen that helps to keep your body well lubricaated.

So I googled it, and found this article about boosting your own estrogen levels. One of them was about using Evening primrose oil, which I've used in the past and it does seem to help your skin to retain moisture. 

When I looked up the Evening primrose oil, I saw the Amazon suggestion that other customers had bought Phytoceramides also, and sure enough there were people who said it helped them with their dry eyes. 

I also saw this suggestion for Saw Palmetto. No one had reported that it helped with their dry eyes, but they did report it helped skin dryness, so I am hoping it will be effective. I'm willing to try it. This sudden dry eye syndrome is driving me a little nuts. I always had a pretty high tolerance for wearing contact lenses but now I can only go a few hours at a time which is not great for me because it's difficult to wear glasses while I'm driving. 


 I can only afford to get one or two supplements right now, so I may go with the hyaluronic acid and saw palmetto to start.


Copied and pasted from what I found online:

Evening primrose oil

Evening primrose oil (EPO) is a traditional herbal remedy that contains high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, making it a popular supplement for conditions such as PMS and menopause. There’s very little recent research on the benefits of evening primrose oil for estrogen.

However, one studyTrusted Source found that of over 2,200 women that used EPO after discontinuing hormone replacement therapy, 889 reported EPO as useful for controlling the symptoms of low estrogen with menopause.


https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/how-to-increase-estrogen#herbal-supplements


So, I searched the Amazon reviews for the words "dry eye" and found quite a few reviews where people said it helped them in that regard. 


Evening Primrose Oil fo Dry Eyes


You can see this study, here: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3180483/

Once referred to the study, informed consent was obtained and subjects were randomized, using a random number generator, to one of two groups. Both groups were given a prescription-only medical food supplement, Tears Again HYDRATETM (OCuSOFT, Rosenberg, TX), consisting of four geltabs containing a total of 1000 mg of omega-3 EFAs derived from flaxseed oil and 500 mg of omega-6 EFAs (GLA) derived from evening primrose oil, both of which are microencapsulated in a proprietary liposome process designed to improve absorption. The amount of EFAs per food supplement serving is similar to that used in other research on evening primrose oil and identical to that used in other research on flaxseed oil.

Conclusion

Supplementation with the proper balance of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids improved TBUT and relieved patient symptoms. The addition of topical cyclosporine did not convey any statistically significant improvement in TBUT beyond that achieved by the supplement.



Evening Primrose Oil (500mg) 240 Mini-Liquid Softgels, Cold-Pressed with No fillers or Artificial Ingredients; Non-GMO & Gluten Free


From the United States

Reviewed in the United States on March 14, 2019
I am really happy with this product! I’ve been taking it for almost 6 weeks. I take one pill in the morning with breakfast. I have struggled with acne on and off since teenage years and am now in my mid 30’s. About 8 months ago I started using Differin gel as a topical treatment. After the initial “purge” of about 10 weeks, it took care of the more superficial/clogged pore acne. But I was still getting hormonal cysts here and there with my cycles. I thought I’d just have to live with it, but then I found this! My skin just continues to get better and better every day. I literally get no acne now. I didn’t know something like this could ACTUALLY work. I was super skeptical. I’m still using the Differin gel as well. I think the Differin and evening Primrose oil make a good team together to clear up acne! I do think the Evening Primrose oil caused my period to be 2 days late this past cycle, but that’s no big deal to me. All in all, a terrific product! Oh, also, it made me stop having horribly dry eyes! My eyes have not been dry once since starting to take this!
5 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on October 1, 2020
I just received my order of EPR SR.
I have previous awesome experience with other SR products, and hopefully this one gets my approval as well!
Thanks SR, please keep up!
EPR has an amazing health benefits. Here are some for FYI:

* Nerve damage caused by diabetes.

* Osteoporosis.
* Asthma.

* Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
* Breast pain (mastalgia).
* A pregnancy complication marked by high blood pressure and protein in the urine (pre-eclampsia).
* Eczema (atopic dermatitis).
* Disorders affecting bile flow in the liver.
* Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
* Nerve pain in people with diabetes (diabetic neuropathy).
Dry eye.
* Swelling (inflammation) of the liver caused by the hepatitis B virus (hepatitis B).
* High levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia).
* An inherited skin disorder that causes dry, scaly skin (ichthyosis).
* Infant development.
* Liver cancer. Early research shows that taking 18 grams of evening primrose per day does not affect liver size or survival in people with liver cancer.
* Symptoms of menopause.
* Multiple sclerosis (MS).
* Obesity.
* Childbirth.
* Premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Research evaluating evening primrose for PMS shows conflicting results.
* Painful response to cold especially in the fingers and toes (Raynaud syndrome)e.
* Rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
* Schizophrenia.
* An autoimmune disorder in which the glands that produce tears and saliva are damaged (Sjogren syndrome).
* A movement disorder often caused by antipsychotic drugs (tardive dyskinesia).
* Water warts.
* A motor skill disorder marked by clumsiness (developmental coordination disorder or DCD).
* Diabetes.
* A learning disorder marked by difficulty reading (dyslexia).
* Low bone mass (osteopenia).
* A hormonal disorder that causes enlarged ovaries with cysts (polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS).
* Scaly, itchy skin (psoriasis).
* Joint swelling (inflammation) in people with psoriasis.
* A type of inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis)..
* Alzheimer disease.
* Heart disease.
* Other conditions.
Reviewed in the United States on May 7, 2018
I've been taking 3 of the Evening Primrose Oil 1300 mg caps each day for the last 6 weeks. I've noticed that my eyes are less dry (I have dryness from using Latisse) and I have significantly fewer premenstrual issues each month (much less breast tenderness, no cramping, easier flow).
4 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on April 17, 2019
I like everything about this product, especially that I only have to take one capsule instead of 2 or 3 with other brands. I use it to prevent dry eyes.
One person found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 27, 2020
They help my dry eyes. I need fewer eye drops when using this regularly.
Reviewed in the United States on July 2, 2020
Since I have been using this product I noticed my eye dryness has diminished.
Reviewed in the United States on December 30, 2019
My doctor put me on this for my Sjogren’s Syndrome to help with my dry eyes. It has helped tremendously.
One person found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on February 8, 2020
I take EPO on the recommendation of my physician to help with inflammation and dry eyes. I believe it helps.
Reviewed in the United States on March 27, 2020
Helps w/ my dry eye problem & keeps my post-menopausal skin looking moist & dewy!
Reviewed in the United States on July 3, 2016
I use it for eye health - it helps relieve chronic dry eyes.
2 people found this helpful
Reviewed in the United States on March 18, 2017
Let me review your product Evening Primrose Oil (1300mg) 120 Liquid Softgels ~ Cold-Pressed. I absolutely cannot go more than a day without taking several to help with my dry eyes. Since I was a teenager, my eyes have been dry. This condition has worsened with age. Now at age 59, my primary remedy for dry eyes is taking four to five of Sports Research's Evening Primrose Oil gel-caps daily. This keeps enough moisture in my eyes to maintain normal visibility. Before finding Sport Research brand, I tried other brands which either did not have enough active ingredient, or the carrier-oil might be rancid tasting. I have never had an issue with Sports Research, and highly recommend for whatever your need might be.
5 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on January 10, 2019
I bought these in November of 2018 along with the Biotin infused with organic virgin coconut oil - 5000mcg (here on Amazon) I really believe taking these 2 pills together at the same time during the past 2 months has made a difference in my hair, my nails and here is the unexpected surprise - my eyelashes. My hair has always been thick - my hair has always grown quickly. I'm fair skinned and a red head so I have to keep an eye on my skin care - I noticed a few months after turning 54 that my hair was not growing so quickly after a haircut; I noticed how dry my skin was and my nails were brittle. I read reviews on Amazon and decided to go with this tablet and the Biotin infused with organic virgin coconut oil - The first 4 weeks, I noticed nothing - 6 weeks in and I started noticing my hair was thicker (again) and growing longer (again) My nails are long and strong and my skin is not as dry. What really surprised me was while putting mascara on my thinning eyelashes - it dawned on me that my lashes were longer and fuller! Imagine my surprise on noticing this in my mirror while applying the mascara! I immediately knew it was these 2 pills. Now that I am past the 2nd month - I am only taking 1 a day instead of the recommended 2. I only take the vitamins during the week giving my body a break on the weekends.
4 stars because I've noticed a few days out of the month, I tend to break out on the side of my neck which has never happened before - I've never had an issue with acne so I'll rate it this and see if that changes

I will continue to buy these as long as I have positive results like this. I'm thankful for the reviews on Amazon as this helped me decide what to try
review image
3 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on October 21, 2019
I think primrose oil is an important supplement for most women, as it keeps the skin supple and also balances hormones to a certain degree. I notice that when I take it, my eyes get less dry at night.
Reviewed in the United States on August 4, 2020
Have taken 2 capsules a day for two weeks, and skin and dry eyes are already improving. No burping or bad taste like from fish oil. Will continue taking the bottle.
Reviewed in the United States on February 7, 2017
This is a great product I take it for dry eyes because I can't take the medication my eye Doc prescribes and it works well.
2 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on April 23, 2019
I take these for eye health. I have extremely dry eyes. No upset stomach. I still have dry eyes, but I try everything to help.
Reviewed in the United States on December 25, 2017
I purchased this bottle back in October while I was still using another brand. My reason for using it is a bit different than what others on here use it for. Years ago I suffered from extremely dry eyes. None of the drops dr. prescribed worked or worked for a very short time. I don't remember why I first bought OTC bottle of EPO and started taking it but after doing that for awhile I noticed that my issue with dry eyes was totally gone. I stopped taking it and dry eyes issues returned so I cont. to use it once a day or every other day for that. It probably had some other benefits too but this one was my biggest reason for using it.
In October I was purchasing some other items on Amazon and came across this one. After reading some reviews I decided to buy it with intention to use it once I use all of the ones I had at the moment. With the previous brand I'd notice improvement within couple of hours. With this one not at all. Also, this one comes with high amount of Omega 6 and Omega 9 which can be harmful and increase inflammation (research Omega 3 vs Omega 6 in humans). The brand I had before did not have omega 6 nor Omega 9. Unfortunately, by the time I found out that it's not working for me, my 30 days return period ended. :(
2 people found this helpful
1 comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on January 20, 2016
Good quality product, can tell they are fresh and I feel above other brands. Pills are a little large- but so are all of the EPO pills, so it's to be expected. I have dry eyes and am taking for the omega 6 high GLA content, not sure if completely working (there is no cure for dry eyes really, just trying to make them more comfortable) but will continue taking and will reorder when I run out.
5 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on May 23, 2018
I have Sjogren's syndrome, this product helps my eyes.
One person found this helpful
Comment Report abuse



 Hyaluronic Acid for Dry Eyes


I'd read about hyaluronic acid in the past, knowing it is something that really hydrates the skin. So, I took a look on Amazon, to see if others might have reported that it could be something that helped their dry eyes. And sure enough... I found several reviewers who said it did seem to help their dry eyes. I am pasting those reviews (along with the product they were reviewing) further down the page.

There have been so many times I've learned that something we're used to buying (and might think was "invented by man") is actually produced by your own body, and we've just learned how to duplicate it. I am super grateful to the people who've learned how to replicate this stuff, because it's extremely helpful. But it's just important to keep in mind, how powerful mother nature is, and to me that explains why these things work so well. When we take supplements like hyaluronic acid, we're just giving our bodies the things we already had. 


Hyaluronic acid, also known as hyaluronan, is a clear, gooey substance that is naturally produced by your body. The largest amounts of it are found in your skin, connective tissue and eyes. Its main function is to retain water to keep your tissues well lubricated and moist.Apr 21, 2018


You can also see a study, highlighted below, that shows how it helped people with their dry eyes. It helped the ones who actually took the hyaluronic acid (but not the people who took the placebo). 

I'm definitely going to order this stuff!


Amazing Formulas Hyaluronic Acid 100 mg 120 Capsules (Non-GMO,Gluten Free) - Support Healthy Connective Tissue and Joints - Promote Youthful Healthy Skin



https://www.hindawi.com/journals/joph/2019/5491626/


Clinical Study | Open Access

Volume 2019 |Article ID 5491626 https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/5491626

Oral Hyaluronic Acid Supplementation for the Treatment of Dry Eye Disease: A Pilot Study

Academic Editor: Miguel Rechichi
Received23 May 2019
Accepted19 Aug 2019
Published25 Sep 2019

Abstract

Purpose. To evaluate the clinical efficacy of oral hyaluronic acid (HA) in patients with dry eye disease (DED). Study Design. Prospective randomized controlled trial. Methods. This trial enrolled 54 subjects and they were randomized into the study or control group. The inclusion criteria were as follows: (1) >18 years of age; (2) distance best-corrected visual acuity ≥ 20/40 Snellen equivalent in each eye; (3) IOP ≤ 21 mmHg in both eyes; (4) ocular surface disease index (OSDI) score of ≥18 and <65; (5) <10 seconds of tear break up time (TBUT); (6) >5 corneal spots of corneal fluorescein staining (CFS); and (7) ≤ 10 mm/5 min of the Schirmer test. All subjects were treated with a topical HA, and the study group was supplemented with oral HA. OSDI, TBUT, CFS, and the Schirmer test were evaluated for ocular surface parameters. Results. 24 patients were assigned in the study group. Significant improvement of OSDI, TBUT, and CFS was observed at 1 month and 3 months after oral HA administration in the study group. At baseline and follow-up at 1 and 3 months, OSDI scores were 61.8 ± 16.2, 47.3 ± 11.6, and 42.3 ± 9.1, respectively (). TBUT was improved after treatment for 1 month and 3 months (4.2 ± 1.1;  and 4.7 ± 1.1; ). There were also statistically significant improvements in the CSF (1.8 ± 1.0, 0.8 ± 0.7; ) at baseline compared with those at 1 month. Conclusions. A combined supplement of both oral and topical HA more efficiently improves corneal epithelial wound healing and related symptoms than topical HA alone, in DED.

1. Introduction

Dry eye disease (DED) is a common chronic ocular surface disease which is characterized by a loss of tear film homeostasis. It has multifactorial causes including tear film instability, hyperosmolarity, inflammation, and neurosensory abnormalities and results in ocular discomfort and visual impairment [1].

The treatment of DED is generally initiated with an instillation of lubricant eye drops or viscosity-enhancing agents [2]. Other major treatment options include anti-inflammatory therapy, tear conservation approach, and the treatment of lid abnormality. Dietary modification such as essential fatty acid, [34] lactoferrin [5], and antioxidant supplement [6] is a minor treatment option; however, there is growing evidence that diet and nutritional supplementation play a role in DED.

Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a macromolecular mucopolysaccharide that is widely distributed throughout connective, epithelial, and neural tissues [7]. HA has been used in tear supplements to enhance lubrication as a topical agent, and it has been proven to promote corneal epithelial wound healing [89]. However, HA can also be supplemented in oral route. Recently, HA has been taken orally to reduce joint pain in osteoarthritic knees and increase hydration for dry skin. Studies have proven that oral HA has anti-inflammatory [10] and skin moisturizing properties [11]. However, to the best of our knowledge, there is no trial of oral HA supplementation for the treatment of DED. In this study, we assumed that anti-inflammatory and moisturizing effects of oral HA also might work in DED. We investigated the effect of oral HA supplementation for the treatment of DED.

3.2. Secondary Outcome

Three months after treatment, OSDI was significantly improved when compared to one month after treatment in the study group (3 months; 42.3 ± 9.1, ) but not in the control group (3 months; 49.0 ± 17.6, ) (Figure 1). TBUT was also significantly improved in the study group (3 months; 4.7 ± 1.1, ) but not in the control group (3 months; 4.9 ± 1.1, ) (Figure 2). However, CFS was also significantly improved in both study group (3 months; 0.3 ± 0.4, ) and control group (3 months; 0.8 ± 0.5, ) (Figure 3). The between-group differences in CFS and OSDI at 3 months were significant ( and , respectively) but the difference in TBUT was not significant ().






Amazing Formulas Hyaluronic Acid 100 mg 120 Capsules (Non-GMO,Gluten Free) - Support Healthy Connective Tissue and Joints - Promote Youthful Healthy Skin


From the United States

Reviewed in the United States on November 25, 2019
I got this just 4 days ago and I have noticed three things....I woke up to take the fourth capsule this morning and my skin felt soft and balanced , no oily or dry areas. I’ve also noticed this morning that my eyes feel lubricated , most mornings they feel like they’re so dry that they have sand or something in them.
I wake up throughout the night with aching hips when I lay on my side and I haven’t woke up to that in a few days. I think this stuff works and isn’t a part of my imagination. I’m going to praise this product to family members and others as well.

Update : I’ve been using this about 6 weeks now and I don’t know if I’m crazy or what , but I have tiny little baby hairs around the front of my hairline, which was getting thin due to wearing my hair back so much.
I googled it to see if hyaluronic acid did anything for the hair besides give it more moisture and come to find out it said that it’s kinda like a fertilizer for hair so I hope this is true and I don’t doubt that it is because I haven’t used anything else that would cause new growth. Really excited about this!
22 people found this helpful
Thank you for your feedback.
 Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on October 24, 2017
This has been extremely effective. The capsules have relieved 90 to 95 percent of my dry eye discomfort.
I've been taking them about two months but the effects were much faster. Two or three a day works best for me.
15 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on January 27, 2018
It has not only helped my dry eyes but my joint pains
5 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on November 2, 2019
I have symptoms of Sjogren's, so I use it for dry skin, severe dry eyes, and joint mobility. I take it with fish oil and turmeric. Amazing!
Reviewed in the United States on September 19, 2017
I got this to help with my dry eyes and dry skin and bad joints. I haven't been using it long but I already notice a difference with my dry eye problem. I actually feel my knees are better now and I am walking better but I am also going to a chiropractor for my knee problem because I fell on my knees and hurt them. I will buy this again and again.
39 people found this helpful
1 comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on October 3, 2017
Seems to be helping with my dry eyes. Will definitely keep taking it.
7 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 25, 2016
I have used several different brands of Hyaluronic Acid and by far this is one of the best and very economical compared to others. You only need to take one pill with this brand in order to get the recommend daily dosage and the capsules are easy to swallow. I wear weighted contact's and have issues with dry eye causing my contacts to become off center effecting my vision along with having joint issues. This has helped greatly along with minor plumping and hydration of skin, added bonus!
37 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on May 21, 2018
These were gotten for my dry eye problem. They do help and I would recommend them to anyone.
Reviewed in the United States on August 25, 2018
This helps with my dry eyes



One last thing I want to mention - I know that Alpha Lipoic Acid helps to regenerate blood vessels, so I looked on Amazon to see if it might somehow help with dry eyes. I didn't see anything in the reviews, but I am going to try to take this anyway because I had an accident where something fell on my eye and it made mone of my eyes a little more astigmatic than it usually is. Astigmatism gets worse if the shape of your eye changes, and I can't help thinking the shape of my eye could have changed slightly if scar tissue had built up somewhat, after I had that accident. I didn't notice it right away, but over the next few weeks it seemed that it became more noticeable, so I couldn't help wondering if it was due to scar tissue.  So I will be taking Alpha Lipoic acid too. Will put the brand I plan to order, below. 

https://www.longdom.org/open-access/effects-of-nutritional-supplement-with-lipoic-acid-in-patients-with-recurrent-pterygium-2155-9570.1000338.pdf

Effects of Nutritional Supplement with α-Lipoic Acid in Patients with Recurrent Pterygium

 Jorge Guillermo Hurtado Godinez1 , Leonel Garcia Benavides1*, Sara Pascoe Gonzalez1 , Ivan Isidro Hernandez Cañaveral1 , Francisco Javier Galvez Gastelum1 and Irinea Yañez Sanchez2 

1 INTEC, Departamento de Fisiología, Centro Universitario de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Guadalajara, Jalisco, México 2Centro de Investigación en Nanociencia y Nanotecnología, Centro Universitario de los Valles, Universidad de Guadalajara, Jalisco, México *Corresponding author: Leonel García Benavides M.D., PhD., Instituto de Terapéutica Experimental y Clínica Departamento de Fisiología, CUCS, U de G, Sierra Mojada 950, edificio P, 1° piso, Colonia Independencia, CP 44340, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, Tel (52) (33) 10585200 ext. 33659, 33660; Fax (52) (33) 36173499; Email: drleonelgb@hotmail.com Received date: Feb 13, 2014, Accepted date: May 13, 2014, Published date: May 20, 2014 Copyright: © 2014 Godinez JGH, et al.  

Results: Pterygium recurrence was similar in both groups. A significant increment of fibroelastic tissue was observed in the placebo compared with the α-lipoic acid group. Number and caliber of blood vessels, extracellular matrix content and presence of inflammatory infiltrated cells decreased in the α-lipoic acid group. Myofibroblasts were also localized and smaller. Conclusions: Treatment with α-lipoic acid improved clinical appearances through decreased fibroelastic tissue size. Recurrence was similar. Blood vessels, extracellular matrix content and inflammatory infiltrated cells reduced with α-lipoic acid.



Nutricost Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg Per Serving, 240 Capsules - Gluten Free, Veggie Capsules, Soy Free & Non-GMO



Out of 5,697 ratings there are 169 that have the word "neuropathy" in them. I know this post is not about neuropathy, but I am pointing this out because, the fact that ALA is helpful in regenerating new blood vessels, seems to be the thing that helps people with their neuropathy. So I'm posting some of those reviews below, in case it may help some people to see that it could be helpful in regenerating new blood vessels. 


FILTERED BY
containing "neuropathy"Clear filter
169 global reviews
This filter only shows ratings with reviews.

From the United States

Reviewed in the United States on November 12, 2018
I have been walking on the outer sides of my feet (when not in shoes) for about 8 years (instead of flat on my feet like normal people do) due to peripheral neuropathy damage done to all my toes from taking statins for a few years. The pins and needles and electric shock sensation to my toes has never reversed.
Two weeks ago I decided to Google to see if there were any legit remedies for this. On a few websites that discussed diabetes and peripheral neuropathy I read that there was often some relief taking Alpha Lipoic Acid. I finally decided to try it. I really didn’t expect much effect, at least not for a few weeks of taking it (600 mg/day with food). On day two, I realized that I was naturally walking on flat feet like I used to. I have been totally dumbfounded for the past week, as has my husband. He also had very similar effects from taking statins, so he has decided to give this a try now. I will be interested to see how it affects his feet.
492 people found this helpful
10 comments Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2018
I bought this because it is cheaper then the brand of ALA I have been taking. I Take ALA because it alleviates symptoms of neuropathy in my feet. Within three days of beginning taking this product my neuropathy pain came back. I immediately bought more of my old brand and voila, the pain went away. You have to go with what works. In this case, it was not this brand.
245 people found this helpful
14 comments Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 12, 2018
I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid for the Neuropathy in my feet a few months ago. I started with 1 capsule a day and then increased it to two, then increased it to 3. I've noticed a bigger difference from taking 3, so with this next bottle I'm going to try 4 a day and see if I can even more of an improvement. My feet feel much better and the cramping is way less. I highly recommend trying this.
162 people found this helpful
2 comments Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 23, 2016
Same yellow big capsules as other company I ordered from. Helps with diabetic neuropathy in feet after 5-7 weeks along with 1000mg of vitamin B-12. I recommend product. I take with food as otherwise I get stomach acid problems.
167 people found this helpful
1 comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on December 17, 2018
If you are plagued and suffering from neuropathy this may help. It has helped me. Science does not yet understand the brain and nerve function in humans. It is a mystery at the moment. But this does help. Drug companies make drugs that have horrible side effects. And they make a fortune ripping you off. Homeopathic cures generally work without side effects. Drug companies are evil entities who want to make you sicker to sell you more drugs. Our ancestors figured out through trial and error over thousands of years ago what works naturally and what does not.
38 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on February 28, 2020
I have been in agony for over a year with severe neuropathy caused by diabetes. I am on so much other medication that the thought of adding yet another med made me really upset. I researched treatments for neuropathy on webmd and the mayo clinic websites and they both mentioned Alpha Lipoic Acid for treatment. I read the reviews here on amazon about the product and decided, hey...what can it hurt? I took my first dose last night and I woke up feeling BETTER!!! I couldn't believe the difference. Completely gone? No. But on a pain scale of 1 to 10, I was an 8-10 every day, and I woke up and went through the day, doing MORE than I usually do cause I felt so much better, and stayed around a 2-3. What a difference! It really angers me that all the doctors i've been to for this issue never mentioned this supplement. They would rather put me on gabapentin or some such med with a dozen or more side effects. Please trust my review as I was very skeptical about this. I am so sold on this that it makes ME want to give YOU a double your money back guarantee!!! I want the world to know that you can get relief for neuropathy without a prescription!
24 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on April 9, 2019
Caused me indigestion even with food and caused heart burn. However, it has convinced me that it was a remarkably effective treatment for neuropathy caused by cancer (lymphoma) and diabetes. It was not just pain relief but also better balance when walking. Also it has a very nice effect on blood sugar lowering it some. I am insulin dependent so it must affect resistance reducing cell resistance. So, I bought the “Natrol time release 600 mg” version of the supplement and now have zero indigestion. I take 600 mg in the AM & PM. 1200 mg a day. Always look for time released versions of supplements if they cause indigestion and do not give up.
32 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on July 24, 2018
I wasn't sure this stuff was working at first, but after a few days the numbness and tingling in my hand was much improved. A few weeks later I noticed that a spot on my face which had reduced sensation due to nerve damage was also improving, after months of little change. This was an unexpected bonus. I hear this stuff has great health benefits on top of being good for neuropathy so I'll be taking it for life. Highly recommend.
39 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on July 23, 2018
I've been taking another brand for years and found this one for less money. After about a month, I noticed it did not contain another ingredient which my old brand did and that's called Biotin. It is supposed to help with absorption. It still helps with my neuropathy, not sure it it's as good without the Biotin. I may have to up the dose? It still helps well enough. As for the heartburn thing, that's kind of expected, after all it is an acid. All you have to do is not take it on an empty stomach and if you do, just eat a small snack. Problem solved. Another thing you can do is take a small amount of apple cider vinegar and heartburn's gone.
33 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on November 13, 2018
I can tell this is a good and not a fake supplement because it does reduce my neuropathy pain. If it increases your neuropathy pain the first week, don't fret. It wakes up some almost dead nerves at first, but then after a week the pain is reduced.
32 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse


And this is the Saw Palmetto I plan to get at some point.  Again, I didnt see reviews for eye dryness (so I may wait on this one) but I would be curious to see if it helps. 


Saw Palmetto Capsules for Hair Loss - Saw Palmetto for Women and Men Hair Vitamins for Faster Hair Growth and Healthy Hair Supplement - Saw Palmetto Prostate Supplement for Prostate Health






No comments:

Post a Comment