Sunday, October 18, 2015

Why I No Longer Get Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)

UPDATE:
I don't understand why this is, but I recently discovered that the Nature's Bounty Advanced Probiotic 10 is no longer effective for me to completely get rid of a UTI.  This has been super frustrating for me, and I am still trying to figure out why it no longer works for me, but I think it is probably from a combination of the fact that my body has changed somewhat since I'm going through perimenopause.

Luckily I found a probiotic that works ok, but I have been taking 5 per day. The problem kept coming back when I would just take it for one day, I think I have to take it like antibiotics and do a full course for a whole week. This particular type kills the specific type of bacteria (E. coli) that creates a urinary tract infection. 




A friend just told me this stuff works really, really well for bladder infections because it keeps the bacteria from sticking to your own cell walls. It's funny, she  is the daughter of a woman who told me, years ago, that the reason cranberry juice (supposedly) works is because it keeps the "barbs" on the bacteria from sticking to your insides. So when this friend's daughter told me D-Mannose works  I thought hm, I wonder if there's D-Mannose in cranberries, and sure enough, there is. But cranberry juice doesn't work for me because I think you have to drink a ton of it, and the sugary stuff like Ocean Spray has so much sugar that can make your problem worse. Straight up, unsweetened cranberry juice is just a little too sour for me to drink on a regular basis, so I can't wait to try the D-Mannose. 


Reviewed in the United States on February 19, 2016
Okay I have to write this, this is my 1st review ever!! After suffering from UTI for 10 years almost anytime I had sex and being on Cipro at least once a month for years!! This cured a UTI i had for 17 days in 2 days. NOT EVEN KIDDING. I did a ton of research on how it works and basicallly its like this.....

More than 90 percent of UTIs are caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli), which is normally found in your intestinal tract. Problems only arise when this ordinary bacterium is present in high numbers in places where it shouldn't be—like your urinary system.

Unfortunately for the E. coli, D-mannose 'sticks' to E. coli lectins even better than E. coli lectins 'stick' to human cells. When we take a large quantity of D-mannose, almost all of it spills into the urine through our kidneys, literally 'coating' any E.coli present so they can no longer 'stick' to the inside walls of the bladder and urinary tract. The E. coli are literally rinsed away with normal urination. BOOM!!

HOW I TAKE IT WHEN I HAVE A UTI (note that I have NOT A single UTI since I started using this as prevention!!)

Okay when you notice signs of UTI (aka the horrible feeling of death, burning, and would rather give birth again,) take one large teaspon in about 2 onces of water. now WAIT 45 mins so it can go through your body to your bladder, you want it to grab as much bacteria as possible, then start drinking alot of water like a large deer park water bottle at least 12-16 onces of water. Then wait 2-3 hours and repeat, then after the first two doses, do it EVERY 3-4 hours until sympotns start to disappear, I take AZO with it the first 24 hours to help with pain, but after about 20-30 hours, you are going to be shocked at how much better you feel.

Now of PREVENTIVE CARE DAILY:
Take one teaspon daily, I perfer to do it before sex in the evening or after.
I ALSO:
I take one cranberry pill in the am and one at night, those are from Therologics you can order it online, its the most powerful cran pill in the world.

Welcome to the world of NO MORE UTI.
642 people found this helpful
Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on March 15, 2018
Verified Purchase
**UPDATE: I recently read that this only works on E. Coli so if it doesn't work for you, it could be that you have a different type of bacterial infection! Also you should take it with very little water (1/2-1 cup) then wait and drinks LOTS of water to flush out the bacteria.

I've been suffering from reoccurring UTIs for about 20 years now. I used to swear by pure (nasty) cranberry juice but after years I just couldn't drink the stuff anymore. Recently I had a UTI that wasn't responding to the antibiotic I was on and ended up a kidney infection. I was DONE. I scoured the internet and found D-Mannose. It got rid of my UTI and so far has prevented more. Keep in mind that I stay on top of drinking plenty of water and have mostly quit all caffeine. If I do have any I drink lots of water after. I still have to keep clean and pee after sex but that's just good hygiene. I also believe a more alkaline diet helps prevent them but I don't always eat that way. Hope this helps someone!
103 people found this helpful
Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 8, 2018
Verified Purchase
D-Manose is the bomb! Studied suggest that D-mannose may hinder bacteria from adhering to the cells lining the urinary tract so if you suffer from recurrent UTI’s you need this.

I take it daily and no more UTI’s! It’s a miracle that a urologist recommended for me and all her patients with UTI’s. This brand in powder form is the best one. It’s easy to mix in water, no taste and only a teaspoon or two is needed. One warning - you should start out with less powder. As they say in many articles it can “cause bloating and loose stools”. In my case I gradually increased up to 1 teaspoon and found i am ok (sorry for tmi)!
57 people found this helpful
Report abuse







Reviewed in the United States on February 28, 2018
Size: 120 Count (Pack of 1)Verified Purchase
LIFE SAVER. No, seriously. after years of recurring UTIs and seriously insane pain and burning..trying different antibiotics, etc. I have to say. This- doubled with an Uricalm pill (for the immediate relief) has totally cleared up my UTI's. I was in and out of doctors for a long time, wearing sweatpants,calling out of work, spending time between sitting on the toilet in pain but nothing happening or wailing in pain in the bathtub, even tearful emergency room visits at the worst points...I have even tried every antibiotic under the sun....and now with this stuff- life is so much easier. I take one right after doing the deed (and make sure I urinate *every time*) And it has made a WORLD of a difference. Usually I don't do reviews for such embarrassing things. But this stuff is a miracle thing. I'm not a paid reviewer. I was real person in real pain and I figure if my review can help someone else...then please..for the love of god listen to it. I had to look thru so many reviews before I pulled the trigger, and I'm SO glad I did. Let me just say, i wouldn't wish a UTI on my worst enemy. Not only are they annoying, sometimes downright killer, but they are embarrassing and uncomfortable. And this little pill bottle has alleviated all signs of any UTI in my future. (Although I will add- if you are trying to conceive a child...it will hinder your process. Do some research on that one.)

Buy this stuff if you have UTIs. Or if you never WANT TO have one. All praise D-Mannose 🤘🏼
929 people found this helpful
Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on October 20, 2018
Size: 120 Count (Pack of 1)Verified Purchase
I’m a walking success story. I’ve lived with UTI’s since my preteen years. Painful uti after painful UTI multiple times a year. Some that won’t let me walk right after urination. Others that are triggered simply by alcohol consumption when not drinking excessive water. I’ve gotten to the point where I test positive with nitrates in my urine but cultures claim I don’t have one (even though I have all the symptoms. I get them from having sex. When not drinking enough water. Failing to shower right after the gym. I simply feel like I always have them even when I don’t have all the symptoms and doing ALL the things to prevent bacteria growth (showers before intercourse, wiping correctly, etc). My doctors have denied me antibiotics numerous times in prevention of becoming resistant to them. I feel like sometimes they don’t even believe me when I say I have them. At this point only nitrofurantoin works. I’m resistant to Bactrim and Cipro after repeated use. After SO MUCH research I learned I may have cystitis...and that’s when I stumbled on an article written by someone like me taking D Mannose. So I tried it and I can truly say I don’t even go to the doctors anymore. I stopped calling my urologist. One pill a day keeps bacteria from forming. Probiotics keeps the good bacteria going. And 3-5 a day gets rid of any infections no matter how bad they are (even when I feel my swollen bladder is throbbing so bad that it may bleed from irritation alone after peeing). I swear by this. As long as you drink lots of water with it, I have found no side effects whatsoever. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’m only 25 and after 10+ years with UTI’s I was scared I was headed down a road where if I ever truly got sick and needed antibiotics that they wouldn’t work because I’d be resistant. These changed everything. I’ve only tried this brand so I can only speak on Now’s D Mannose!
473 people found this helpful
Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on February 4, 2018
Size: 120 Count (Pack of 1)Verified Purchase
I suffered from frequent UTIs after intercourse for years. I was getting them about 4 times a year, if not more. I tried cranberry supplements to prevent them and that didn't work. Doctors even gave me a steady supply of antibiotics in order to prevent and get rid of UTIs if I got one. I was instructed to take one pill after having sex. First I was on Macrobid, but then I developed an immunity so they put me on Keflex. I hated taking antibiotics regularly because it's so bad for your body. It was only about a year ago that I read about D-Mannose and decided to give it a try, even if I was skeptical. I'm SO HAPPY I tried it. It works. I haven't taken antibiotics since I first bought a bottle of D-Mannose a year ago. All I do is take one pill after having sex and it's enough to prevent UTIs, which I used to get so easily. But I haven't had one in over a year! Not even the early symptoms of a UTI. Some people take 3 pills as the dosage, but I've found that one works. And with 120 pills per bottle, I'm only now buying a second bottle. Talk about a cheap and super healthy way to prevent UTIs!
221 people found this helpful
Report abuse


To learn more about why D-Mannose works so well for UTIs, Chris Kresser does a great job of explaining it on his website... to see it, just CLICK HERE.

Uploading: 527979 of 527979 bytes uploaded.


Treat and Prevent UTIs Without Drugs

Published on 

by 

Urinary tract infections (UTIs), which are infections anywhere along the urinary tract including the bladder and kidneys, are the second most common type of infection in the United States. (1) These infections can be caused by poor hygiene, impaired immune function, the overuse of antibiotics, the use of spermicides, and sexual intercourse. The most common cause, accounting for about 90 percent of all cases, is the transfer of E. coli bacteria from the intestinal tract to the urinary tract.

For those of you who have experienced a UTI, there isn’t much you wouldn’t do to avoid another one. While I personally have never had a UTI, my patients have told me how the pain, burning, nausea, and even bloody urine can be debilitating, and for those who get chronic UTIs, the fear of infection can be enough to prevent engagement in any activities that could trigger one. And for those who get them frequently, sometimes a specific cause cannot even be pinpointed. This can be frustrating and scary.

Fortunately, there are a few methods of natural treatment and prevention that have worked extremely well for my patients, to the point where they no longer worry about getting a UTI. These treatments don’t require a prescription, are inexpensive, and completely drug-free. While your doctor may not know about them, I hope this article will help you completely avoid UTIs – or at least significantly reduce their frequency and severity.

Standard Treatment

Doctors typically use antibiotics to treat urinary tract infections, and the type and duration depend on your health condition and the type of bacterium found in your urine. (2) Commonly prescribed antibiotics are Bactrim, Amoxicillin, Ampicilin, and Cipro. These antibiotics are often unnecessary and may cause more problems in the future by destroying the beneficial bacteria that prevents pathogenic bacteria from growing. Long term use of antibiotics can also lead to antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria like E. coli developing in the gut, and a UTI caused by these bacteria will be even more challenging to eliminate and can cause more serious infections like a bladder or kidney infection.

Furthermore, antibiotics do very little to prevent the infection from happening in the first place. So while drugs may be an easy fix for the short term, in the long run you will continue to be susceptible to UTIs, and these infections may be worse than if you had never taken a course of antibiotics in the first place!

Natural Treatment and Prevention

D-Mannose

D-Mannose is by far the most effective supplement for both treatment and prevention of UTIs. Similar to glucose in structure, D-mannose is a naturally occurring sugar that is found in a number of fruits, including apples, blueberries, and cranberries. (3) This sugar is the reason that cranberry juice has been commonly recommended as a UTI treatment, though it is far easier to get the recommended dosage from a supplement. D-mannose is effective because it attaches to E. coli bacteria, causing them to stick to each other and preventing them from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract. (4) The bacteria can then easily be eliminated from the body during urination.

D-mannose, even in large quantities, does not cause any adverse side effects, and cannot be metabolized the way other sugars can, meaning this supplement is safe for diabetics and others who are avoiding sugar for any reason. This treatment is also safe for children and the elderly. Symptom relief can be seen as quickly as the following day, and most symptoms are generally resolved after 48 hours of treatment. Additionally, taking D-mannose during a time where you feel you are most prone to UTIs, such as prior to intercourse or during prolonged antibiotic treatment, can help prevent a UTI from ever developing in the first place. This is especially helpful for those who are prone to chronic UTIs and want to be able to engage in normal life activities without fear of infection.

The typical dose of D-mannose for UTI treatment is 500 mg, in capsule or powder form, taken in a glass of water or juice every two to three hours for five days. It is a good practice to continue taking the supplement even after symptoms have diminished to ensure complete elimination of the bacteria in the urinary tract. This dose can also be taken as a preventative, or prophylactic, method.

While there have not been any peer reviewed research to support the effectiveness of D-mannose in treating or preventing UTIs, clinical and anecdotal experience suggests it is highly effective for the majority of infections, both acute and chronic. Some of my patients who have used D-mannose as a UTI treatment method have even described its effects as “miraculous” – so it’s definitely worth a shot!

Alternative Treatments for Chronic UTIs

One caveat with D-mannose is that it is only effective with UTIs caused by E. coli infection. While this accounts for about 90% of cases, there are 10% that will not benefit from this treatment. In this case, supplements that help disrupt biofilms can be useful in treating and preventing UTIs.

Biofilms are an accumulation of microorganisms and their extracellular products forming structured communities attached to a surface such as the lining of the urogenital tract. (5) The development of a biofilm can make infections extremely hard to treat, since they commonly return shortly after treatment is stopped. The antibacterial resistance of pathogenic biofilms is one of the major reasons why those who get a UTI are highly susceptible to getting more in the future – if the biofilm is not completely eliminated, the infection will eventually return at some point.

This is why the use of biofilm disruptors can be helpful for preventing the recurrence of chronic UTIs. (6) The biofilm disruptors that I recommend to my patients are InterFase Plus from Klaire Labs or Biofilm Defense from Kirkman. These contain specialized enzymes to disrupt the biofilm matrix embedding potential of pathogens, and dissolve the sugar and fibrin components of most pathogenic biofilms. By destroying the biofilms, the recurrence of UTIs despite proper hygiene can be reduced. (7)

Lauricidin is another supplement that may be helpful in treating UTIs, particularly those that are caused by bacteria other than E. coli. Lauricidin (a proprietary form of monolaurin) has anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial activity, and is specific against pathogenic bacteria so it won’t disrupt beneficial bacteria in the gut. It is highly effective at combating gram positive bacteria in the families of Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Corynebacterium, Listeria, Bacillus, and Clostridium. (8) It works by disturbing the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane, blocking replication and making it easier for the immune system to destroy the pathogen. Lauricidin is only helpful, however, for UTIs not caused by E. coli, which is gram negative and has a different kind of outer cell membrane than gram positive bacteria.

Nattokinase from Source Naturals is another enzyme that has been shown to dissolve biofilms. (9) Produced by the bacteria found in the fermented food natto, this enzyme is proteolytic and can help break down the fibrin proteins that maintain the structure of biofilms. Because of its fibrin-breaking ability, it’s important that nattokinase supplements are not taken by people with bleeding disorders, or by people who are taking Coumadin (warfarin), aspirin, or any other drug that influences blood clotting, unless supervised by a physician.

Apolactoferrin (or lactoferrin) is one more supplement that I recommend to my patients with recurring UTIs. This multifunctional protein Lactoferrin is a component of the immune system with antimicrobial activity, and is part of the innate defense, mainly found in secretions and mucosal surfaces. (10) Lactoferrin has been shown to block pathogenic biofilm development by binding to iron and causing the bacteria to “wander” across surfaces instead of forming cell clusters and biofilms. (1112) One study found that the amount of E. coli bacteria in the kidneys and bladder of mice was significantly reduced 24 hours later by oral lactoferrin treatment, compared to a control group. (13) More research is necessary to demonstrate the effectiveness of lactoferrin in treating UTIs, but I believe it is worth trying, especially if dealing with chronic UTIs.


What I wrote a few years ago, about UTIs (that I could solve with just probiotics alone).
---------------

This use to be a chronic problem for me. But not anymore! Why? Because I learned that Probiotics did a better job of getting rid of UTIs, than antibiotics or cranberry juice ever did.


I plan to write a lot more about my experience with UTIs, but for now I'm going to share an invaluable tip I got from a girl friend a few years ago.... take PROBIOTICS. It works like a miracle for me. It's cheap and you can get Probiotics  in any drugstore. If I feel a UTI coming on, I take 4 of these (Nature's Bounty, 10 billion cultures per pill), drink lots of water, and somehow that knocks it right out. I keep it in the fridge so it will last longer. 

Please believe me when I tell you that when this girl friend recommended the probiotics, I had NO INTEREST in taking her advice, I was in a lot of pain and discomfort, but she INSISTED I try it because she had heard this advice from a guy who ran a local health food store and he gave a lot of great advice. He said to take a probiotic with at least 20 billion live cultures. 

She actually brought over lots of probiotics and insisted that I just try it, it couldn't hurt.  Finally, I just said fine. And OMG.... I could not believe how well it worked. It was unbelievable. 

To think of all the times I'd suffered with pain, because I didn't have antibiotics on hand (and didn't have time or money to get to the doctor for a prescription). There was one time I even had to cough up $500 to go to an emergency room to get antibiotics! It seemed crazy to think I could have just picked up probiotics in a drugstore, for less than $30!!!  I am very grateful for this tip I got from my friend, and have shared it with many women.
 

Also, it helped to take Cystex for immediate pain relief. This seems to work even better than Uristat or Azo.

It also helps to drink lots of water. I've heard some women raving about how the special water I drink helped them with UTIs but please know I was able to get rid of my UTI before I even got our awesome water machine, by using regular WELL FILTERED water. 

Your UTI will get worse if your water is heavily chlorinated. On another note, heavily chlorinated water (21 parts per billion or higher) can cause an increased risk for bladder cancer... please read this page to see I'm not kidding.

And yes ladies you DO need to pee shortly after you have sex. Eating lots of sugary foods will just make your condition worse, and things will get particularly bad if the weather is warm. 

To think of how many years I suffered with those damn UTI's, thinking the ONLY way I could get rid of one was with antibiotics! They probably made my SIBO (and acne) even worse.


On the positive side of things, one time I had a particularly bad UTI, I was desperate to try and cure myself so I drank tons of vitamin C. Well, it seemed like the Vitamin C did NOTHING to fix the UTI. However, I did notice that when I bit my lip, really hard, it healed extremely quickly. And I realized this was because of the Vitamin C. So, for the last 10 years, as soon as I bite my lip by accident (which I seem to do every few months) I take about 5,000 mg of vitamin C, and POOF. The cut heals right up. Just a warning, do not do this if you're pregnant.


Hope this helps!


Laura Ellen (Ualani)

No comments:

Post a Comment